Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Day 189: or The Day The 17 Year Old Helped Me Out

Because I've had to work 12 hour days this week, the Mom said it was ok if the 17 year old helped me so I could go into town. I woke up and got the Kid his breakfast and set out all his stuff he would need for the day. When it was time to go, I set him up with a movie and told him to make sure his sister woke up so he wouldn't miss pottery. I headed out the door and met Sara at the train station and we made our way to Paris.


We had signed up for another walking tour, this one being "Taste of Paris". It focused on the old market and streets around it. We went to the oldest patisserie in Paris, a cheese shop, and a chocolate shop. We tried duck saucisse, not a fan, and chile pepper chocolate, big fan. We just walked around and the guide told us all about how it used to be when the market was open and everyone from all over the city would come to get there produce. We both decided we would like to open up our own Fromagerie. I know super markets are convenient., but going to little, specialty shops for the perfect cheese or bread is a pretty great thing.


After the tour we stopped for lunch and walked around a bit more before heading back home. I only had a couple hours off and needed to make sure I was there for the Kid when he was done this afternoon. When I got home, I expected the cleaning man to be there, finishing up. Instead, the hosue was exactly the same as when I left it. Odd. When I left this morning, I swear I saw him at the entrance to the neighborhood, on his motorcycle. I called the Mom and she said he called in sick and was surprised to here he was so close to the house. Oops, I guess I kind of told on him. I was hoping to be off tonight, early, but with a dirty house, it always takes a bit longer to take care of the kitchen.


I made some pasta and veggies but didn't worry too much about dinner because no one was hungry. I cooked the same amount for the 4 of us as I usually do for only 2 people. I wish I'd had more of these simple nights. After dinner I read to the Kid and then tried to make it out the door at a reasonable time. I was one of the last ones to show up at the potluck dinner we were having, but I still made it in time for the food. I brought a Greek pasta salad, which was a pretty big success. I think I'll be making this as my go to dish for awhile. We had a great dinner and then headed out to the pub. It was pretty relaxed and even though I was reluctant to go, the bartender gave us a free round, so it made it all very worth it. We headed back to Sara's at a decent hour and called it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment