Sunday, March 27, 2011

Day 86: or The Day I Found Stubb's BBQ Sauce in Paris

True story. There is a shop in Paris, called "Thanksgiving". It is very small and out of the way. But it is American, brand name heaven. They had the obvious ranch dressing, Oreos, hot sauce (Louisiana to be exact, amazing), Dr. Pepper and what not. But Stubb's? I was impressed.


I started the day waking up late because of DST. I knew it was today, I even set my clock forward. But somehow I managed not to save my changes, and woke up in a tizzy despite my best efforts. Ran to the train station and was just a tad bit late for my coffee break with a new (to me) Au Pair. We had a nice chat and then she invited me into town to meet some friends. This is where the shop came into the story. I purchased a DP for 2 reasons. One, it wasn't astronomically priced. Two, everything else needed to be accompanied by other items. Ranch and hot sauce are eaten on things that I just don't eat here. Salsa, we don't have tortilla chips. Jalapeños just wouldn't go on my ham and Camembert sandwich. A dilemma yes, so I decided to just go without. But now I know, and I can find these items if need be.


We grabbed a falafel and headed to the Pompidou Centre for some street performances. There was a large crowd watching a pretty entertaining guy. He was one of those that the whole show makes fun of his audience, but in a non-malicious way. The best part of a Japanese kid who had no idea what was going on, but just went for it. It's amazing what people will do in front of hundreds of strangers.


After the show we stopped by and artist residence for a free concert with a free glass of wine. The show wasn't exactly my taste but it was a really cool place and one of the girls volunteers there, so I'm sure I'll be back.


I made it home around 8:00 and had dinner with the family. I helped the 16 year old clean out the fish tank, played piano with the 14 year old, and helped the 13 year old on a school project. I like hanging out with the kids when I'm not working. When I am working I am totally focused on the Kid and he's fun to, but on the weekends I get to spend time with the others, and that's nice too.

No comments:

Post a Comment