Saturday, January 1, 2011

Day 1: or The Day of Too Little Sleep and Too Much Cake

The plane ride was long. It was fine, but long. I got myself an adult beverage to try and speed up the process, to no avail. What a waste of 7 dollars. I tried watching movies, no good. So around 12 my time, 7am in Paris, I fell asleep for a measly 3 hours. I'm hoping that this will help me get on schedule because I will be falling asleep with the rest of the family. To add insult to injury, the airline wasn't able to get my luggage on to my connection. The common question here is if I had a short connection. The answer is a simple no, they had plenty of time. They called with it and should deliver it in the morning. The lost luggage wasn't so much the issue however. Being in France, my phone doesn't work. I have skype and will get a French cell, but I had no way of reaching Olivier, who was my ride. I had his cell number, but in this day and age, pay phones are less common, which you only find out when you are in need of one. I can't exit baggage claim and reenter, so I am forced to stand at the claim desk while they straighten out the issue. I also had no idea the address of the house, which was a problem. Then the lady had the brilliant idea of calling my host family with the number I had provided and voila, I am now home. 

The kids seem nice. The girls are very friendly and their English is great. They are 16, Ines, and 14, Anne. The 12 year old boy, Arnaud is more reserved and his English isn't as developed. Jeremy, the 5 year old is very cute. I will be speaking English with the children, so hopefully that will give me time to refresh my French before I'm pushed out into the real world. 

Sleep is calling my name, but the Rose Bowl will be starting any minute, and I'd like to catch a bit of it. I discussed American Football with the girls earlier, but how do you describe one of the greatest pastimes to people who don't know what queso is? 

Oh and Linden, we had three types of cake for dinner. Not dessert, dinner. Awesome.




1 comment:

  1. Amazing!! I LOVE cake! Had it for breakfast on Jan. 1...starting the year off right, clearly.

    ReplyDelete