Friday, January 7, 2011

French Word of The Day

Bouillon.


As in bouillon cube. I know most people know the word, and can guess that it translates into broth. And by most people I mean cooks.


But in my little French world, I got some undeserved points, and I'm not complaining. When the mom was describing a recipe, she kept saying vegetable broth and pointing to the cubes, at one point I just said "bouillon", and she looked at me surprised and said, "Ah, you do have some vocabulary". I had mentioned that my grammar might not be all that good, but I do know a great deal of French words. I just thought it funny that my knowledge of a well known food term caused surprise. I just won't mention to her that it is a cooking term that is very common in the states.

1 comment:

  1. that's hilarious! i didn't even realize that was a french word... i guess i have two french words in my vocabulary now.

    ReplyDelete