Friday, January 7, 2011

Day 7: or The Day I First Went To The Pâtisserie

Today was a good day. I woke up and took Jeremy to school. I had to let the cleaning guy in the house so I waited for him then went on my walk to the town shopping square. It was gross and drizzly but I had to drop off boots to be repaired so it wasn't an option. I have decided that music on walks can really improve my mood. i don't think I'm revealing some shocking news, but I believe that I am more affected by my music choices than most. On my way, my copy of Elvis Presley's Yellow Rose of Texas/ The Eyes of Texas Are Upon You came on. A) how awesome is it that Elvis sang Eyes of Texas? B) It made me feel close to home. Now I realize that I have been gone 7 days, and that is not a long time. But I know that in a couple of months, when the crawfish boils start, I will start to miss home. But like the songs says, the eyes of Texas are upon you, you can not get away. Some non-longhorns may think I'm being cheesy or too Hook em Horns about this. But that's not what it is. Follow that song up with Lord, Have Mercy I'm a Country Boy, and Tom Petty's Won't Back Down and I'd bet most of you would feel pretty good too.


On my way home, I stopped at the Pâtisserie. After the shoe repair guy, I decided to try some more French at the shops. I went to the little store and bought shampoo. Boring. Then I made it around the corner to the little shop of heaven. Now I'm not a sweets fan. Appetizers or dessert and I'm going to pick fried, cheesy things every time. But French pastries should not be taken lightly. I went in, and being that it was almost lunch there was a bit of a line. I decided on a swiss and ham baguette, and a pain au chocolat for the walk home. In France, chocolate croissants are not called chocolate croissants. They are pain au chocolat, which translates to choclate in bread. Whatever frenchies. Anywho, I ate my croissant and resisted skipping home. And it was only .80 euros, which is $1 usd. Crazy town. And the sandwich was 2.80 euro, or $3.60. Great deal.


I just made myself some tea and am considering popping Lonesome Dove into the DVD player. Which reminds me that my host family has LD on vhs. Can you believe it?!? Seriously, how many french families do you think own that series. Gives them a little bump in the points if you ask me.

3 comments:

  1. I made sure to have a chocolate croissant every day when I was in paris because they're absolutely amazing. So jealous that you have an unlimited supply so close by (and for only 1 buck!)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I miss the chocolate croissants! And CANNOT BELIEVE they have Lonesome Dove! Now THAT is Crazytown! Love reading all your posts!

    Kim Owens

    ReplyDelete
  3. I chuckled out loud at "Whatever Frenchies." Thought I should admit that to you.

    ReplyDelete